Position: Garden Center Assistant Manager
Department: Hopkinton Garden Center
Reports to: Garden Center Manager
Positions Reporting to you (if any): Horticultural Sales Staff
This position is primarily responsible to manage, direct and ensure the sales staff is active and attentive to any and all customer requirements having to do with cash and carry and future order type sales activity. On days the store manager is not working, this position is responsible for enforcing the responsibilities of the store manager. These responsibilities include establishing a positive, productive and professional sales environment for WN through staff management, training, compliance with POS procedures, merchandising and layout goals, safety/security measures, and upholding high customer service standards in order to produce great experiences for our customers. The assistant manager role typically takes on a Team Lead role within the store as well.
Lead the garden center horticultural sales staff to perform at a high level as it pertains to all aspects of customer service including performing our day-to-day activities in a manner that is consistent with a highly customer centric culture, product knowledge, training, product displays/merchandising, accurate POS transactions, and plant health advice.
As part of the GC team, work alongside staff daily participating in all aspects of the operation including selling, customers service, answering phones, receiving/unloading product, loading customers, maintaining product, etc.
Assist in hiring and coaching staff to develop a culture that promotes excellence, teamwork and respect for co-workers, customers, and vendors. Continually promote training and education and a safe working environment.
Assist store manager with conduct performance evaluations for direct reports and oversee sales team are achieving the goals set out for them.
Requirements – Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in business management.
- 2-4 years’ experience managing effective teams in business, retail or related industries.
- Strong knowledge of woody, herbaceous and annual plants appropriate for the New England area.
Requirements – Personal:
- Must be able to lead within the retail environment, where customer service and revenue goals are a key driver.
- Must enjoy managing people and have the ability to motivate, challenge, mentor and guide a diverse working group.
- Should be able to juggle multiple initiatives and oversee all opportunities within the retail environment. Must be able to budget days/weeks, set goals and organize activities to reach them.
- Strong computer skills, communication and organizational skills, relationship building skills, and the ability to meet or exceed goals are required.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with other staff within the company on cross-functional initiatives for the overall success of the company.
- Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks in a rapid and safe manner that involve lifting heavy plants, operating equipment, moving product displays, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Weston Nurseries does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state and local law.