Position: Chelmsford Operations Team Leader
Department: Chelmsford Facility
Reports to: Chelmsford Garden Center Manager
Direct Reports: Chelmsford Support Staff/Drivers and Yard Salespeople
This position will focus on developing sound practices regarding how we manage yard sales and operations at our Chelmsford location. Responsible for the day-to-day activities in store 2 relative to all operations of receiving, collecting and then loading and delivery of all products outbound. You are expected to be familiar with all Garden Center products, Hardscaping products, the plant material, basic sound horticultural practices, and general plant care maintenance of said plant material and the facility. Also providing exceptional customer service to both the internal and external customers.
Achieve year over year growth or improvement with sales, productivity, inventory sell-through, and presentation of the Chelmsford Facility
Lead team daily so that our staff feels they are given clear direction on how they perform their job duties and why it is important in context of the systems we rely on to properly operate the business.
Develop a strong and healthy culture of continuous improvement via encouraging input and frequent engagement with staff.
Establish a good rapport and work closely with company buyers to push new green goods and hard goods products according to what customers are asking for or what they may benefit from once they know more about them.
Work with HR to identify, hire and onboard people, maintain accurate job descriptions, conduct performance reviews, promote people, provide opportunities for advancement, safety awareness, internal and external customer experience, product knowledge and conduct corrective action as needed.
Working along with marketing and other managers, host events and seminars that bring in experts from all areas who will educate and empower staff and provide meaningful information for our customers to make them more successful.
Ensure staff are properly trained, according to individual roles, with our company software, equipment, vehicles, and all other technology we utilize to operate our business.
Plan and schedule in flexibility during busiest times to help different areas of the operation as needed. This is a lead-by-example position that will require confidence, knowledge, and willingness to work in any selling or operational capacity of the business.
Working with customers on a day-to-day basis to give them an exceptional experience.
Skills and Qualifications
- Broad horticultural knowledge acquired either through formal training or on-the-job experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience selling lawn & garden and hardscaping products.
- Ability to work weekends and during peak customer flow times.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varying weather conditions.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions, both heat and cold
- Must be physically able to lift to 50 pounds without assistance on a regular basis throughout the course of the workday.
- Must demonstrate thorough understanding of the body mechanics associated with safe lifting techniques and knowledge of principles of strain and sprain prevention.
- Has the personal attributes necessary to lead, coach and develop a strong team.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are important when interacting with customers, peers, and direct reports.
- Possesses strong organizational skills and the ability to organize the workforce and delegate responsibilities. Planning and follow-through are key to ensuring all opportunities are achieved.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Weston Nurseries does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state and local law.