Position Summary: The incumbent(s) in this role is responsible for potting starter plants as part of our nursery growing operation.
Reports to: Nursery Grower
Positions reporting to this position: This position has no direct reports, but is expected to work in a team setting demonstrating a good work ethic and contributing to team success.
Schedule: This is a part-time (with the potential to be full-time in certain weeks, depending on the actual potting schedule), short-term position which may entail up to 6 days/week during the potting season. The anticipated schedule is April – May
Under the direction of the Nursery Grower, the incumbent is responsible for:
- Potting plugs and bare root starting materials according to the nursery’s grow plan, which includes specific instructions on the appropriate pot, soil, fertilizer, tags and lay-down locations.
- Performing basic irrigation system maintenance tasks such as unclogging sprinkler heads, replacing valves, and troubleshooting basic plumbing problems.
- Maintaining the plants and growing area in a neat and orderly manner.
- Must have a commitment to performing work safely in accordance with internal procedures and taking into account the safety of co-workers.
- Must be able to perform manual work, including the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. on a routine basis and have the physical ability to stand for long periods, and crouch/bend to work with plants on the ground on a daily basis.
- Must be able to work around plants, soil, fertilizers, weeds, pollen and dust.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, both hot and cold.