Position: Driver and Operations Support
Reports to: Garden Center Manager, Assistant Manager
Position Summary: You will be responsible for the safe driving and operation of Weston Nurseries delivery vehicles, transporting bulk goods, stone and plant material to customers’ homes and jobsites or back and forth from Chelmsford and Hopkinton. When not actively delivering product, your activities will include loading and unloading trucks, merchandising, pulling orders and general plant and facility care. Customer Service will also be part of your daily routine whether you are driving or working in the Chelmsford Facility.
- Provide timely and courteous delivery of materials.
- Drivers are expected to help load and unload materials at final destination.
- Loading outgoing delivery trucks properly.
- Perform routine and required inspections on vehicles for safety and defects.
- Make sure vehicle is in good working condition.
- Provide excellent customer service when delivering material to a site.
- Work and fix small mechanical issues as necessary.
- Proper maintenance and protection of assigned company property.
- Maintain all required licenses and certifications required by DOT, OSHA and local or federal authorities.
- Maintain a beautiful, easy-to-shop sales area. This includes proper plant/product organization, accurate price tagging, as well as ensuring plant health through deadheading, monitoring for pests/diseases, and watering when necessary.
- Pull aside sold orders into Holding area and assist with receiving incoming deliveries and placing product in appropriate locations.
- Assist with scheduling and coordinate deliveries with staff of bulk goods, plants and stone.
- Work cooperatively with other departments at WN (delivery, landscape, business) to ensure smooth running of operations.
- Perform tasks delegated by a supervisor or requested by other staff.
- Assist with other Garden Center initiatives.
Requirements – Knowledge:
- 3 years minimum driving experience
- Proven Safety Record
- Must have a Medical Card
- CDL Class A or B a plus, but not necessary
- Ability to learn how to run and operate equipment (experience a plus)
- Positive, professional manner when interacting with customers.
- Requires cheerful disposition in a somewhat fast paced environment.
- Able to multi-task.
- Lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
- Self-initiative with day-to-day tasks.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Attentive to customers and customer service.
- Basic horticultural knowledge, including plant care and maintenance helpful.
- Knowledge of pavers and wall installation helpful.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks under varied weather conditions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong common sense with regards to working around machines and trucks
- Ability to work independently for long periods of time.
Requirements – Personal:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills are important when interacting with customers, peers, and direct reports.
- Ability to work effectively as a team player.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and hectic work environment, make decisions “on the run”, and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to organize workforce and delegate responsibilities. Planning and follow-through are key to ensure all retail opportunities are achieved.
- Reliable transportation to and from work on scheduled workdays.
- Ability to work overtime if required.
- Must be likeable and people friendly.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Weston Nurseries does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability and genetic information, age, national origin, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state and local law.