Over the past 91 years Weston Nurseries has evolved in diverse and unexpected ways, but our philosophy has remained constant: to provide the widest selection of hardy plant material available in New England. Much of what we practice today derives directly from that vision, and began when Peter J. Mezitt founded Weston Nurseries and started growing landscape plants in Weston in 1923.
Born into a family of Latvian farmers in 1885, Peter fled conscription into the Russian army and worked his way across Europe, taking on landscaping and gardening jobs throughout Romania and Switzerland. In 1911 he saved enough money for passage to America, where he worked as an estate gardener and greenhouse night watchman to fund a college degree from UMass Amherst. In 1912 he married his wife Olga, who shared his love of plants, and together they spent the next decade using their horticultural knowledge for rooting understock and grafting fruit trees to sell to local orchards.
Peter and Olga had larger dreams, however. In 1923 they obtained financing to purchase 80 acres off of Winter Street in Weston, and on July 24 of that year they officially established Weston Nurseries. By 1930 they had 10 acres of nursery land, which quickly blossomed into 200 acres of full-scale production in the early 1940s.
Ed Mezitt with PJM Rhododendrons
One of the most pivotal events in the early history of Weston Nurseries was the introduction of the PJM Rhododendron in 1945. Peter’s son, Ed, developed the hardy hybrid and named it in honor of his father. The PJM is now known worldwide as one of the most beautiful and resilient rhododendrons, and graces many gardens in New England.
By 1950 the Mezitts had moved their homes and nursery facilities to the rolling hills and rural acreage of Hopkinton, where they expanded sales and production and continued to develop new plants. The garden center on Main street was established, with its beautiful display gardens, abundant greenhouses, and the iconic green chimney featuring the white Weston Nurseries logo.
In the 1960’s, Peter’s grandsons Wayne and Roger joined the family business and continued to expand and innovate, purchasing adjoining land in Hopkinton until the nursery encompassed over 900 acres.
In 2006, Wayne’s son Peter became President, and began the transition to a new business model. Most of the plants sold by Weston are brought in from the best growing operations in the country. Our selection has expanded, quality has improved, and our retail and commercial customers are giving us high marks.
We are very proud of recent improvements. Thousands of employees have participated in the growth and success of Weston Nurseries, and we have been very fortunate to have many devoted longtime employees who have made their lives and careers with the nursery. We hope you’ll join us, too!